Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Waiting for the ice to melt

Currently doing a mini melt on the ice in Studio B, and decided to visit the crew internet cafe to pass the time. What's a mini melt you ask? Exactly what it sounds like. We crank the temperature up and let the ice start to melt, then scrape/sweep the ice and water off the top layer. It's rather fun actually and it meant I got to finally wear some spikes on the ice so that I wouldn't fall and break every bone in my body. It's bad enough walking on ice in running shoes, but then when you melt the ice a bit and get the ship rolling... it isn't a good combination. So I strapped some spiky things onto the bottom of my shoes and for the first time was able to work on the ice surface without fear of injury. I think I'll start wearing those things more often.

As I mentioned above it's been a bit rough at sea today, the worst so far this cruise. Luckily I don't get sea sick but it sure makes it interesting trying to work a show (or worse yet to be one of the skaters trying to perform on the swaying ship).

Tomorrow we're in Boston and I have to wake up at 7am and get to immigration. After that I'll have my I-95 and be able to go ashore in US ports in the future. We also have crew boat drill, which everyone hates but I know it's for the safety of everyone on board. It'll be nice when I have a more interesting job to do though, unlike what I do now which is just go to the bow and wait for someone other crew to need assistance. That isn't too likely to actually happen unless we were in a real emergency.

Well I think that should have been enough time for the ice to melt some more... time for round 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment