Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Cabin

I don’t think I’ve said much about my cabin on Explorer yet so I’ll share a bit of info and some pictures of it today.

My cabin is located on Deck 1, Portside Forward.  Most of my department lives in the Deck 1 Forward area so we don’t have to go too far to visit or to share information when necessary.

crew 001 crew 003

Above are photos of my cabin taken from the entrance and beside the beds (excuse the mess… we’re guys and it can’t be helped most of the time).  I sleep on the top bunk… not the easiest thing to get to but when I stand on the chair I can get up there without too much effort.  The beds themselves are actually quite comfortable.  I don’t know if maybe the mattresses are the same as those in passenger cabins but I’ve been sleeping even better than I sleep at home.  Clearly it is best for crew to be well-rested when performing their duties so it only makes sense to make the beds comfortable.  As you can see it isn’t a large cabin but there is plenty of storage in closets, drawers, and shelves so I was able to find homes for all of my belongings.  There is also a TV, DVD player, refrigerator and two small safes in all the crew cabins.

Of course, if the cabin is that size then how big can the bathroom be?  Well the answer is that you can stand in the same spot and use all of the facilities at the same time.  I don’t know if that is meant to be a selling feature or not but I’m going be positive and say that it is… at it comes with a complimentary all-too-friendly shower curtain. I don’t have a very good wide-angle lens but I think you get the idea from the photo below… not a large space.  There is a sill on the floor to separate the shower from the rest of the room… but it is mostly for show as the water doesn’t seem to know which side is indeed the shower.  It also means that any time you want to use the toilet… you can’t help but have one foot in the shower.

 crew 004

So that’s about all there is to know about crew cabins.

On another note, I finished the last of my safety training today.  Only a few more days until the rest of the training is finished as well.

We are in Halifax, Nova Scotia today with Queen Mary 2.  It’s the only ship I’ll be seeing anytime soon which dwarfs this one.  That is… until December 15 when we will be in St. Thomas with Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas; I can’t wait to see that ship.

That’s about all I have to say about today… I’ll post photos of some of the staff/crew public areas when I get a chance.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are settling in. I look forward to reading your post. Explorer is our favorite ship. Have been on her 7 times and again will be on 2/5/10. It is my favorite because it is only 1 hr. away from where we live. We don't live to fly in the winter. Your room looks quite cozy. Good luck and keep posting. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you sleep better in in mess!!!!!!

    Martine

    ReplyDelete