Saturday, October 3, 2009

Training

My training has begun, and wow is it ever just as intensive as everyone said it would be.  I’m technically supposed to be off today (minus a half-hour shift at 9:30pm) but instead I’m spending most of the day in training.

I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather today and yesterday… I think I must have caught some kind of mild URI on my first day.  My co-workers have been great about it and told me to get lots of rest.  I do feel much better today than I did yesterday so the rest must have helped.

Getting around the ship as a staff member definitely takes some getting used to.  I’m managing because I have always had a good sense of direction, but even I was totally lost on my first day.  When these ships are designed, priority is obviously given to the passengers and therefore they are given very easy routes around the ship.  For the staff and crew, it’s more tricky.  We aren’t allowed to use passenger elevators unless accompanying a passenger to a specific location.  There are lots of crew elevators but most of them don’t stop at every floor, so you have to pick and choose in order to get on the right one.  Fortunately the route from my cabin to studio B is only a brief walk up I-95 (the main corridor on deck 1 which runs the length of the ship) and then up one set of stairs.  That’s going to come in quite handy when it’s my turn to have a rotation as duty tech in a few weeks (duty techs are responsible for taking out the trash, locking up the venue at night, and most importantly: making ice).

Well, it’s time to head back to the training room.  I have no idea what this particular one is for… my schedule says something about FF training.  I’m guessing FF is Fire Fighting?  Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment