Friday, November 13, 2009

Rough Seas

Last night was definitely an adventure.  While I was speaking on the phone with my mom yesterday I mentioned that we had fairly rough seas the previous day coming back from Bermuda.  I felt bad for the passengers on that cruise because it was pretty rough on the way to and back from Bermuda.  it’s unfortunate that many people lost 1 or 2 days out of a 5 day vacation due to seasickness, but it could have been prevented by taking some Gravol or similar medication ahead of time… don’t take chances.  Little did I know, that weather coming back from Bermuda was NOTHING.  It’s days like yesterday that make me very happy to be on a larger ship because I know how much worse it truly can be.  Last night we had waves over 20 feet high and winds at 60 knots gusting to 70 knots.  It should be noted that this was the first time since I’ve been on this ship that I felt seasick.  Took lots of meds though and I felt better in minutes.  The worst weather started right around 9pm, and we had the sail-away parade coming up at 10:30.  As should be expected from such a situation the parade audience was pretty dismal and some of the performers weren’t looking too well.  I would recommend anyone sailing out of Bayonne during the winter months to take something to prevent seasickness.  Don’t wait until the ship starts rocking, as that is sometimes too late (and it’s right around dinner time too).

The production manager for the Palace theatre returned today so Leslie is back with us in Studio B and Junior has headed back to the Mariner.  In a couple of weeks things will change up again as Jamie joins us in Studio B and Leslie heads out for her well-deserved vacation.  On land a stage manager would stay with a particular show/theatre for months or even years,  so it’s interesting having 3 different people in the same month running the same show.

That’s about all there is to write about for now… Oh! I get paid tomorrow, so already I know that tomorrow will be a great day.

5 comments:

  1. Ryan enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,,, Ryan here from NY. Hows the Explorer of the seas doing these days? I was on her back in June, it is a great ship. i myself am working on getting a position onboard in the guest relations dept. Anything interesting happen onboard lately?

    Later,

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan,

    Wonderful blog with colorful entries! I know that the Internet costs a fortune there, but if You can, please keep us updated.
    BTW I have applied for the Stage Staff position but I haven't got much luck... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will continue to try to post as often as possible... not always easy but I'm aiming for 2-4 posts a month, that way enough time will have passed each time for me to have some new experiences to write about.

    Explorer is doing quite well but in some ways in need of the upcoming drydock. I keep hearing rumours about all the work that will be happening in drydock and if most of them are true then the ship will be much improved afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog, I have also been approved for Technical Stage Staff and I'm waiting to be assigned. I enjoy reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete