Friday, June 25, 2010

1 week left

As my vacation is coming to an end, I'm now looking forward to meeting my new coworkers on Serenade of the Seas.  I've wanted to get onto a Radiance-class ship for a long time so I now finally have my opportunity.

Although I was given an unusually long vacation (2 months is about average, but I got almost 3) I don't think I would have had any problem going back after 2 months.  There's a limit to how much you can do other then rest, relax, see friends, and make a little money on the side.  There is also a point when cruise ship crew learn that being at home doesn't mean all your friends at home will suddenly be able to stop what they're doing and hang out.  Despite that you've been away for months, you'll probably only see eachother 2 or 3 times. Aside from those days here and there, it can get really boring.

Now it's getting close to the time where I need to start packing.  One of the other realizations that apparently it's only possible to make after a first contract is how little you should bring along.  I read over and over again from experienced crew on numerous websites exactly what I should have packed and yet I still went over the limit of what was necessary.  Until you've worked every day for six months, it's just difficult to believe that you'll only need 1-2 sets of casual clothes and the rest just uniforms.  I've learned that now though so I should be travelling a little lighter this time around.  Another lesson: do not bring luggage that will not fit under the bed.  You will be sorry because you will have to live with it in your cabin for 6 months and tripping over it constantly during that time is just frustrating.


Well, time to get on with enjoying my last week of freedom.  I'll try to post again from San Juan next Saturday but if I don't get around to it, my next post will be from the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment