Saturday, April 10, 2010

Good-bye Explorer!

I made it!  6 months and 10 days, not the longest contract there is, but I'm glad to have made it through my first one.  Accomplishing that means that I will be able to do more in the future, as was my plan all along.  As much as I am glad to be finished, and particularly to be getting a different ship, I will definitely miss all of my coworkers as well as several other staff that helped to make my first contract a particularly easy and memorable one.  However, this is ship life, and people move around between ships all the time.  You never know whom you'll meet again on several contracts in the future, and who you'll possibly never see again.

Now I sit at the airport, hoping to get on an earlier flight because the one I was booked on leaves at 5:25pm and since I got to the airport at 10:30am, it's a damn long time to be stuck here.  I've already had one failed attempt at standing-by on the 12 noon flight, now I'm standing by for the 3:15pm.  I can't wait to finally be home.

There will probably be a post or two while I'm on vacation, but in the meanwhile I intend to spend a lot of my free time catching up with my family and friends.

4 comments:

  1. Its been a pleasure following your adventures, I have 4 cruises on the Explorer but I too am moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see you on the Serenade in November

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, Sad to see you go. I was on your final EX voyage and I kept my eye out for you but never did see you.

    I am curious to know what the technical trouble was during Spirits of the Seasons. I sat in on that show one night and there was all kinds of trouble with the sound.

    Sorry you had to endure that.

    Anyway, sorry to see you leaving our great ship but best wishes with everything you do on the Serenade.

    ADL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, yes of course something like that had to happen during my last cruise on EX right? That and the horrible instant rainstorm on the last day really made my last cruise a memorable one.

    From what I recall the problem had been caused by some kind of issue with the music playback computer. I believe they subsequently installed a software update which corrected the problem.

    It wasn't too hard on me, I was more worried about the cast seeing as it was only their second full show together. Luckily they are a great group of performers and couldn't have handled that unfortunate technical glitch any more calmly and professionally.

    It's typical in live shows to experience the occasional problem, and in fact Spirits of the Seasons was one of the most problem-free shows I have ever been involved with. In fact, that was only the second technical glitch during a show over the course of my entire contract and I think that is a pretty good statistic.

    ReplyDelete